Vegetarian noodles with lots of vegetables, pineapple, birds eye chilli gives a spicy note to this dish along with vinegar and other sauces to give a sour taste. The moment I read the recipe in a magazine, I knew I am going to try as it was easy and sounded delicious too.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
- Rice noodles, thick variety – 200 gm
- Zucchini – 1
- Carrot – 1/2
- Capsicum – 1/2
- Onion – 1/2
- Birds eye chilli – 2 or 3 (Optional)
- Pineapple in syrup – 1/2 cup
- Spring onion – 2
- Small onion/ shallot – 5
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Corn flour – 1/2 tbsp
- Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Tomato sauce – 1/4 cup
- Soya sauce – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt – a generous pinch
- Peanut oil – 2 tbsp
- Bring enough water to boil and cook noodles as per the instructions given in the pack of the noodles. I used brown rice noodles. So took around 5 mins, but regular rice noodle should get cooked easily, so refer the package.
- Cook noodles just right, take care not to over cook. Drain and let it get cooled. Reserve a tbsp of noodles cooked water to use later, when the noodles cools down and stuck to each other, you can use this water to separate the noodles.
- Cut all the vegetables in to juliennes. Heat oil in a pan and add chilli, all the vegetables – carrot, zucchini, capsicum, onion. Cook for a minute or two in high flame and once done (yet crunchy) transfer to a plate.
- Mix corn flour, vinegar, soya sauce, tomato sauce, syrup from the pineapple and salt. You can use a fork to mix.
- Add cooked noodles and pineapple pieces to the pan. Add the mixed sauces and cook until the sauce boils, becomes thick and shiny.
- Add the sautéed vegetables to this and cook for a minute.
- Top this with crisp golden fried shallots, spring onion and coriander leaves. To get crispy shallots, slice it thinly and fry in 2 tbsp of oil in medium flame without burning it.
- I used half of a 400 gm pineapple tin. You can reduce the pineapple used in the recipe if you do not like pinepapple.
- Tinned pineapple are sweet and soaked in sugar syrup, so if you are using fresh, the pine apple might be less sweet and slightly sour too with more pineapple flavour.
- You can use colourful capsicum for more colourful appealing look.