This dish has been my saviour throughout January – I mean who could say no to a bowl of creamy pine nut and basil pesto tossed with peas, brown rice pasta, wilted spinach and then finished with lots of lemon and black pepper.
Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 10
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves about 8
For The Pesto
- 2/3 of a cup of pine nuts, 100
- 2/3 of a cup of olive oil, 200 ml
- a big handful of fresh basil, 30 g
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 lemons
For The Pasta
- pasta, I use brown rice pasta
- half a bag of frozen peas, 300 g
- a bag of spinach, 200 g
- 1 lemon
- Tear all the basil leaves off their stems, juice the lemons and peel the garlic.
- Then place all these with the other pesto ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy
- Leave this to one side while you make the pasta
- Place the pasta and the peas into a saucepan with boiling water and cook until the pasta is ready
- Drain the pasta and the peas, then place them back into the saucepan along with the pesto and spinach
- Cook everything together on a low heat until the pesto is warm and the spinach has wilted
- Finally squeeze the juice of the last lemon over the pasta, sprinkle it with salt and add lots of black pepper before serving and enjoy!