Over the weekend our big girl wasn’t feeling so well, and she asked me to make some soup. There’s no way to really feel good when your kids don’t, but simmering a big pot of comforting and nourishing tortellini soup by special request may be about the closest you can get. Low Carb Tortellini Spinach Soup.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion about 1/2 medium sized onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-32. oz. box of chicken broth-for vegetarian vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 9- ounce package refrigerated tortellini-gluten free optional
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Heat vegetable oil and add diced onion. Saute until onions are soft.
- Stir in vegetable (or chicken) broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Let soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for about ten minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Serve with shredded Parmesan.
For a creamier soup, add a half cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream.