Easy Homemade Italian Keto Christmas Bread Panettone Recipe – perfect for the holidays! This Panettone Recipe does require some planning, but if you follow my instructions, you’ll end up with a sweet, puffy and festive holiday bread. Italian Gluten Free Panettone.
Honestly guys, I’m very proud of this one. Took a little bit of work, but it’s fairly marvelous how much it does resemble real panettone. Albeit more dense because well, no starches and gluten!
These sticky buns work best with erythritol (Lakanto or Swerve) and allulose. Don’t use xylitol!
Course: Bread, Breakfast, Dessert
Keyword: Gluten Free, Grain Free, Keto
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Resting Time: 2 hours
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- pinch ground ginger optional (to help proof the yeast)
- 1 tablespoon inulin or maple sirup, honey, to feed the yeast*
- 1/2 cup water lukewarm between 105-110°F
- 58 g sour cream
168 g almond flour **
- 83 g golden flaxseed meal finely ground
- 35 g whey protein isolate
- 18 g psyllium husk finely ground
- 2/3 cup erythritol or allulose
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons orange zest
- 56 g unsalted grass-fed butter
- dried fruit (keto-style!)
Note: if using a stand mixer, feel free to use the paddle attachment for easiest mixing.
- Add yeast and a dash of ginger to a large bowl, set aside. Mix inulin (or maple syrup), water and sour cream in a small bowl. Heat up over a water bath to 105-110°F. And if you don’t have a thermometer it should only feel lightly warm to touch.
- Pour lightly warm sour cream mixture over yeast, cover bowl with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 7 minutes. The mixture should be bubbly, if it isn’t start again (too cold water won’t activate the yeast and too hot will kill it).
- Mix your flours while the yeast is proofing. Add almond flour, flaxseed meal, whey protein powder, sweetener, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- Once your yeast is proofed, add in the eggs, vinegar and orange zest. Mix with an electric mixer for a a minute or so until fully mixed. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the softened butter. Keep on mixing until you can no longer see any streaks of butter. The dough will become very sticky, so you want to work quickly to get it mixed properly. Use a wet spatula to gather the dough into a ball.
- Spoon the dough onto the panettone molds, filling them up roughly 2/3rds. Place on a baking tray, cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm draft-free space for 2-3 hours until the dough has almost doubled in size (it should reach the top of the mold). How long it takes depends on your altitude, temperature and humidity, but just keep in mind that because this is an enriched dough it’ll take its time to rise (just be patient!). And note that if you don’t see it rising, it likely needs a little more warmth (say the top of your oven!).
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C while the dough is proofing. Lightly brush with egg wash, being careful to avoid the edges so they’re able to rise when baked. Bake for 10 minutes at 400°F/200°C, reduce temperature to 375°F/190°C and bake for further 10 minutes and reduce temperature to 350°F/180°C and bake for 5-7 minutes. Panettone should be a (very!) deep brown when done, but feel free to tent with foil to prevent over browning (around minute 10-12).
- Allow to cool on the tray for 20 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely. Keep in mind that they continue to cook while cooling, so you really don’t want to cut before! Keep stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days. Serve at room temperature or lightly warm.
Gluten Free & Keto Panettone
Amount Per Serving (1 mini panettone)
Calories 312 Calories from Fat 234
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g 40%
Saturated Fat 6 g 30%
Cholesterol 91 mg 30%
Sodium 427 mg 18%
Potassium 139 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g 4%
Dietary Fiber 7 g 28%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 10 g 20%
Vitamin A 7.1%
Vitamin C 1.4%
Iron 10.9 %