A great low carb vanilla pastry cream is the basis for many fantastic low carb desserts. This pastry cream is luxurious, gluten-free and easy to prepare.Gluten Free Vanilla Pastry Cream.
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 15 MINUTES SERVINGS: 10 CALORIES: 141 K CAL
Calories: 141 k cal | Carbohydrates: 2 g | Protein: 3 g | Fat: 14 g
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup erythritol
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 large whole eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon stevia glycerite or more erythritol
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated gelatin sprinkled over 1 Tbsp water (I used Knox)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch salt
- Ready a strainer by the stove.
- Place the cream and almond milk in a medium sauce pan or pot (about a 6 cup capacity), and turn the heat to medium – low.
- Add the erythriltol, cornstarch, xanthan gum, and salt to a medium heat-proof mixing bowl and mix together with a small whisk. Add the two whole eggs and 3 large yolks to the dry ingredients in the bowl and whisk together.
- When the cream simmers, turn-off the heat and while whisking the egg mixture continuously, pour all of the cream into the mixing bowl in a thin stream.
- Put the pot back on the stove and scrape the egg and cream mixture into the pot. Set the bowl next to the stove with a strainer over the top.
- Turn the heat to medium low and begin whisking the pastry cream mixture. Nothing will happen for about 2 1/2 minutes and then it will start to thicken-up slightly. Whisk a little faster. At about the 3 – 3 1/2 minute mark, it will begin to thicken. Whisk briskly and cook for 1 minute more BUT don’t let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the stove, still whisking briskly for another minute. Whisk in the vanilla, stevia glycerite, butter and proofed gelatin. Then, pour the pastry cream through the strainer, catching any cooked egg bits.
- To cool, push a piece of plastic wrap right on top of the surface of the pastry cream and place in the refrigerator OR make a water bath by putting ice and water in a large bowl, setting the smaller bowl with the pastry cream into the water bath, and stirring until cool. Then cover and refrigerate 8 hours to overnight to activate the genatin. Makes about 2 cups.