The scientist in me got all excited about figuring out how to replicate the structure of pasta without gluten. Eggy, chewy with a bit of al dente bite pasta. You can make it of hemp or almond flour. Gluten Free Keto Pasta.
- 2 cups hemp or almond flour
- 2 cups tapioca starch
- 2 Tbs + 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Place the almond flour, tapioca starch and xantham gum in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a bowl or large work area, mound two cups of the flour mixture and create a well in the middle.
- Add the salt and crack the eggs into the well.
- Using a fork or your fingers gently beat the eggs, slowly incorporating flour into the eggs until all of it is combined or until the dough can be kneaded by hand.
- Knead dough until it is smooth and elastic. The dough should be pliable but not too sticky. If dough is sticky, add flour a little at a time, kneading until smooth.
- Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces and use your hands to shape each piece into a rectangle about a quarter of an inch thick.
- Send the first piece through the pasta roller at setting 1.
- Fold the piece in half and send through again. Repeat one or two more times until the dough feeds through smoothly, dusting with tapioca starch to keep it from sticking.
- Change to setting 2 and feed the dough through. Repeat until you get to your desired thinness (I like setting 3, some prefer setting 4). As you go, dust the pasta sheets with a bit of the flour mixture or tapioca starch to keep the sheets from sticking.
- Repeat for each of the remaining three pieces of dough.
- Switch to a pasta cutter and feed each piece through or slice each sheet into pasta strands with a knife.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Drop in pasta strands and cook for 1-5 mins while stirring.
- Remove pasta from water and toss with olive oil.
- Serve with sauce or toppings of choice.
I like this pasta with Greek cheese and my Gremulata.