A burrito is a delicious, portable answer to breakfast. All of the elements are snugly wrapped in a tortilla, keeping everything warmer longer when you’re taking it to go.
Total: 38 min
Prep: 25 min
Cook: 13 min
Yield: 4 servings, serving size 1 burrito
- 2 cups egg whites
- 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion – Vidalia or purple
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and well drained then mashed coarsely with a fork
- 4 small Ezekiel grain or other whole-grain tortillas or wraps
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 250 F. Place tortillas or wraps in oven to warm while preparing remaining ingredients
2. In a small bowl whisk egg whites, cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
3. In a medium skillet coated with cooking spray, saute vegetables and beans until soft. Pour the egg/cottage cheese mixture over vegetables and cook until mixture sets. Once firm, divide egg mixture among the warmed tortillas.
4.Roll each into a burrito
5.Garnish with low-fat, low-sodium salsa.
Nutritional Value Per Serving:
Calories from Fat 36
Protein 19 g
Carbs 20 g
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 3.5 g
Fat 4 g
Sodium 466 mg